Pinterest

Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Year of Living Less-Safely


So here's where I am. In my little home studio with this still life setup, for a painting called In This Together. I'm in the process of blocking it in at the moment, and figuring out color combinations.

I'm using new-to-me pigments, new ways of thinking about and mixing my colors, new ways of thinking about my light, shadow, and focal point. This simple little painting is a challenge -- and that's exactly why I'm doing it.

Today I am 40 years old, and I have chosen this as my Year of Living Less Safely. Not dangerously, not foolishly, but less safely.

That means: Each day, a new thing I'm not entirely comfy with. That could be a piece of art -- as it is today. Or a lesson on my horse. Any number of things in this huge, wonderful world. But each day, I have promised myself I will do something that will expand my sphere, something that feels a little risky, uncertain, outside the comfort zone.

And then I'll blog it, briefly.

If you feel like joining me, I'd love to have some companionship on the ride.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Offering as much support as I can, from over here. ;) Can't wait to see what this grouping looks like. I'm really enjoying the loose, sort of impressionistic work you are doing.

    Aw, heck! I just think you rock as as an artist! :D

    ReplyDelete