Pinterest

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Rabbit on 27th Avenue

27th Ave. Cottontail, 5.5 x 3.5" pen and watercolor. Click to enlarge.
Educational thing for today: photograph, above, versus scanned image, below. Neither is accurate. The highlights on the photo are too blue while the colors are entirely wrong on the scanned version.


Ah, the difficulties of photographing art.

I made this as a thank you for someone who'd helped me a lot recently, so the original is now in the mail (it was a small blank note card made of cotton rag paper, purchased at Wet Paint). I like the design well enough that if I can get the photos to look right, I'll include it in the note card line I'm developing.

Below, the original sketch -- much larger, about 7 x 10" -- from yesterday evening. I drew the rabbit from life as it foraged in a neighbor's yard.


I love this drawing but wonder if it will ever sell. Minnesotans are not, in general, big fans of rabbits, seeing them mostly as tiny furry engines of destruction. I can't blame them, but I'm still charmed. Guess I'm just a sucker that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment