Pinterest

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

It Must be SO NICE to Make Art All the Time!

That's what I often hear from people when I tell them what I do for a living. Surely we artists spend most of our time in creative bliss in our studios.

In the words of the internet, LOL NO.

Want to know what it's really like? Here's my current white board, which I stopped writing on when I ran out of room.

I wrote this half an hour ago and have already added five more items.
This is a mere fraction of what's on my plate as an independent small business owner. Just for starters, the stuff about show proposals, doing my taxes, getting more greeting cards printed, buying frames for things to sell at Crawl, creating a new mailing list, and a couple dozen other items, aren't on here.
 
A professional artist who manages to spend even 50% of her working time in her studio is an exception and the rest of us want to know how she does it. Generally it involves hiring out a whole lot of items, which I intend to do just as soon as possible.

1 comment:

  1. And of course there's everyday stuff like dishes, laundry, auto maintenance or repairs, grocery shopping and cooking, driving time to all the places we have to go, fielding phone calls or texts while we're doing it all.

    My goodness we can be in such a big pickle if one we get sick to even the least degree. Also, if we're lucky we'll be able to balance it all with a husband, family and friends, for any of us who have any of them.

    So proud of you, my Sister-friend! :)

    ReplyDelete